Download as PDF -
Article 1 General Remarks
The following provisions are intended to govern legal relations between models, model agencies
and the respective clients in a binding manner, unless other agreements shall have been expressly
made for specific cases. The members of VELMA, the models they represent and the clients of
these models shall be protected from expectations and demands which are not common practice in
Article 2 Basis for booking
The agency shall make declarations to the client in the name and on behalf of the model. A
client shall be defined as one who books with the agency, unless otherwise agreed in writing at
the time of booking.
- The client shall owe the agency a commission. Unless agreed otherwise, this commission shall
amount to 20 % of the model's fee, or of the cancellation fee, plus VAT.
The agency shall not bear any liability arising from this arranged legal relationship. Any claims
of the client against the model may not be offset against the agency's claim to a commission, nor
shall the client be entitled to exercise a right of retention.
- The client also shall owe the agency a commission for subsequent bookings as long as the model
is represented by the agency. The client shall undertake to refrain from direct bookings which
circumvent the agency.
Article 3 Details of Bookings
Options are reservations subject to a binding date. An option shall terminate if the client shall
not make a confirmed booking no later than three workdays (by 6:00 p.m.) before the start of
work or within one workday after being requested to do so by the agency. Saturdays and
Sundays shall not be considered workdays. German calendar time shall apply.
Options shall be noted down in the order in which they are received. If a client's option is not the
first option for a specific model, the client shall be informed of his option's priority. If an option
should lapse, subsequent options shall move up in priority.
- Confirmed bookings
Confirmed bookings shall be considered binding for both parties. At the client's request, the
agency must confirm them in writing without delay, indicating essential details.
- Weather-related bookings
Weather-related bookings are only permissible at the model's place of residence and must be expressly denoted as such. Unless agreed otherwise, these shall be considered as referring to fairweather bookings. If weather conditions are not as desired or if they are unforeseeable, the client
may cancel the booking with the agency up to one hour before the agreed start of work. In this
case, the cancellation fee shall amount to 50 % of the agreed model's fee.
Article 4 Cancellation
- A confirmed booking can be canceled for cause. Cause for cancellation shall also be conditions
which make the confirmed booking economically unacceptable. The agency must be informed of
the cancellation without delay.
- The cancellation must be made as many workdays before the start of work as the number of
workdays and travel days that have been booked, however a minimum of three days beforehand.
- Should the cancellation be made before 12 noon, this day shall count in making the calculation.
Saturday and Sunday shall not be considered workdays. German calendar time shall apply.
- Bookings by the day or hour must be canceled 24 hours before the start of work.
- If the model should make the cancellation, the agency shall make every effort, even calling in
another agency if necessary, to find an adequate substitute for the client.
- If the cancellation should be late or without cause, the agreed model's fee must be paid.
Article 5 Working Hours
- The working hours for a booking by the day shall amount to eight hours, for a half-day booking,
four hours. Unless agreed otherwise, the working hours for a booking by the day shall begin at
9:00 a.m. and end at 6:00 p.m. with a one-hour break for lunch.
- The working hours shall begin when the model meets the client at the agreed location at the
agreed time. Preparations such as makeup and hair styling shall count as working hours.
- Overtime shall be remunerated at 15 % of the agreed daily fee for each hour or part of an hour. If
the working hours are exceeded by 30 minutes or less, this will be considered a favour and not
put to account.
- Travel together with the client from the hotel to the place of work (location) and back again shall
be included in the working hours. Travel time amounting to a maximum of one hour per day
shall be considered a favor and not put to account.
Article 6 Model's fee.
The model's fee shall include the daily fee and the buyout for rights of usufruct plus any VAT which
- Fashion rate
This shall include all photographs of clothing and accessories appurtenant to fashion (nightclothes, jewelry, stockings, shoes, hairdos, eyeglasses, etc.), which are designed in connection
with fashion, insofar as this does not involve advertising.
- Special fee
Underclothes, corsets, nudes, consumer goods advertising, advertising with photographs at the
fashion rate and advertising films shall require a separate agreement.
- Half-day bookings and bookings by the hour
The model's fee for half-day bookings shall amount to at least 60 % of the daily fee for models
residing at the location. Half-day bookings and bookings by the hour shall always require a
separate agreement for models who must travel to the place of work.
Article 7 Travel Expenses
- Recompense for days of travel
The model's traveling to and from the location shall only be recompensed if it falls, in whole or
in part, within the usual working hours for models. The recompense for days of travel shall
up to 2 workdays: 1 daily fee
up to 4 workdays: 1/2 daily fee
5 or more workdays: no recompense for days of travel,
unless the traveling time takes up an entire workday
- Travel expenses
Models residing at, or not traveling to, the location shall not receive a refund for costs of overnight stays or accommodations. Except for half-day bookings or bookings by the hour, costs of
transportation by taxi will only be reimbursed from the city limits.
For all trips taken together with the model, the client shall bear the costs of travel, overnight
stays and accommodations from the airport or train station from which the model departs. The
remuneration shall be made in a lump sum conforming to the standard fiscal rate per workday
or upon submission of the receipts.If the model should word for several clients at one location, the costs for each workday must be
divided up accordingly.
Article 8 Terms and Conditions of Payment
The model's fee, including cancellation fee, recompense for days of travel and travel expenses, shall
be due upon receipt with no discounts. Travel expenses must be paid in the local currency or in
EURO at the buying rate; other payments must be made in EURO.
Article 9 Complaints, Liability
- In the event of complaints, the client must inform the agency immediately and state the grounds
for the complaint. Polaroid photographs must be taken to provide evidence for the complaint.
The model must then be expressly released from the obligation to work. The model shall not be
considered responsible for hair styling, styling and makeup. Proven client complaints shall
revoke any obligation to pay for this model, including travel expenses. If photographs are
nevertheless taken using the model, the client shall be considered as having waived all rights to
- If the model should be to blame for arriving late (due to oversleeping, missing a flight, etc.), the
model shall accordingly be obliged to work longer. If, owing to specific circumstances, this
should prove to be partially or entirely impossible, then the model shall lose the proportionate
claim to a daily fee on the basis of the overtime rate.
- The client must take out an appropriate insurance policy for models involved in particularly hazardous shots. If the agency was not expressly informed of the hazard at the time of booking, the
model shall be entitled to refuse performance and shall receive a cancellation fee in the amount
of 70 % of the entire fee which was agreed.
- Further claims shall be subject to general statutory regulations. The model's liability as well as
that of the agency, on any legal grounds whatever, shall be restricted to double the amount of the
total fee, except in cases of gross negligence and wrongful intent.
Article 10 Rights of Use
- Unless otherwise agreed, paying the agreed model's fee shall give the client exclusively all rights
of use to the photographs for one year within the territory of the Federal Republic of Germany
for the agreed use, the agreed product and the agreed form of use. The limit of one year shall
begin at the time of first actual use, but no later than two months after the photographs were
- Any utilizations going beyond those listed above, in particular for posters, billboards, packaging,
displays, videos, as well as any use of the model's name, shall require the express written
consent of the agency.
Digital storage of the photographs shall be prohibited as a matter of principal and may only be
undertaken with express written consent stating the exact purpose.
- Rights of use shall not be granted until the agreed buyout has been paid. Any utilization before
the agreed amount has been fully paid shall be prohibited.
Article 11 Final Provisions
- German law shall apply to all parties to these booking conditions, agency, client and model.
Place of performance for all obligations arising from the bookings in connection with rights of
use shall be the place of business of the agency.
- The client shall undertake to make alterations or supplements to the bookings and deviations
from these booking conditions only after previous consultation with the agency and shall refrain
from enjoining the models to alter or make additions to the bookings during the days of work.
- Should any individual provisions of these booking conditions be ineffective, this shall not affect
the validity of the remaining provisions. In the place of the ineffective provision, that provision
shall be considered agreed which best approximates the original intent and purpose. The same
applies to filling loopholes in the contract.
- Legal venue for fully qualified merchants (under the German Commercial Code), legal entities
under public law and clients without a place of general jurisdiction in Germany shall be the
place of business of the agency.